University Women's Club
Scope and Contents
These records document the activities, meetings, interest groups, and programs of the University Women’s Club. The collection is organized into six parts. I. President’s and President’s Elect (Vice-President’s) lists the President appointed for each of the relevant years. II. President-Elect’s (Vice-President) Notebook documents the President-elect’s Notebook from the years 1919 to 1976. III. Executive Board and Secretary includes History notebooks (1919-1946), executive board minutes (1923-1974), the secretary’s notebook (1954-1979), and Yearbooks (1952-1986). Also, IV. Treasurer documents ledgers, financial records and reports, bank statements and receipts. V. Committees and Interest Groups includes information regarding the Newcomers Group, Hospitality Chairman, Nominating Committee, Membership Committee, Social Chairman, Budget Committee, Project Committee, Interest Group Chairman, Horseback Riding interest group, and the Travel interest group. Information on these interest groups includes notebooks, lists of members and faculty, budgets, projects, and bank statements and receipts. Finally, VI. Scrapbook holds the University Women’s Club Scrapbook form 1946 to 1948.
- 1919 - 1979
The University Women’s Club grew from an informal meeting held at the home of Mrs. George Norlin on December 12, 1919. The original goal was the fostering of community spirit among the women on the faculty and the wives of faculty members. For the next four years the Club met informally until its membership had grown so large that it was necessary to write a constitution and formally organize, which was done in May, 1924.
From 1919 until the academic year 1973-1974 the Club was called the Faculty Women’s Club. Membership was open to women faculty, wives of faculty, including wives of graduate assistant and wives of the officers of the University Administration.
Throughout the years the Faculty Women’s Club organized several functions ranging from art and music to fashions and foreign foods in addition to the annual Christmas Ball. The Club is a service organization as well as a social one. During the academic school year of 1973-1974 the group wished to enlarge its membership to specifically include all female employees of the University, changing the name from the Faculty Women’s Club to its current name, University Women’s Club. Since the name change the club has continued to perform similar functions for the University of Colorado community and from the year of 1980-1981 has been composed of a fourteen (14) member Executive Board, ten (10) individual interest groups open to Club members and five (5) service groups to assist specific areas of the University.
In the years following the groups wishes to enlarge membership to the contrary took place. The records of the club indicate a slow decline in membership. The decades that followed showed particular committees losing membership with the remaining members transferring committees. The first club committee to cease operations was the Newcomers Group in 1973, illustrating the downturn in membership even after hopes of enlarging membership to all female employees. Next to terminate membership was the travel interest group followed by the Membership and Budget committee, and soon afterwards the Interest Group committee in 1979. By 1982, the Social committee halted all operation. The final activities appeared to have taken place in the 1990s.
8 linear feet
Language of Materials
The University of Women’s Club (1919-1970s), at the University of Colorado, began in the home of Mrs. George Norlin on December 12, 1919, and was formally organized in May, 1924. The goal of this organization was to foster the community spirit among women on the faculty and wives of faculty members. The collection contains papers and records (1919–1995) documenting the organization and activities of the University (Faculty) Women’s Club of the University of Colorado.
B20 M1-3 (Box 1-16); A19 I1-4
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Colorado Boulder Libraries, Rare and Distinctive Collections Repository
1720 Pleasant Street
Boulder Colorado 80503 United States