University of Colorado Continuing Education and Extension Center papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains administration files, financial statements, information on the National University Extension Association, and general correspondence from the extension center. It also contains information from the Dean’s office including correspondence, reports, and office files.
Collection also includes moving image film reels held by the Bureau of Audiovisual Education, 1950s-1960s
- Creation: 1920 - 1989
Conditions Governing Access
Research access to original moving image films in this collection is restricted, due to preservation concerns. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of desired items and a statement of intended use, which will be evaluated by the Moving Image Archivist based on preservation condition of the desired items and staff availability; please note that access may not be guaranteed for all items. All analog sound recordings, video formats, and badly deteriorated film held by the Archives must be digitized for research access, due to preservation concerns. If these materials have not previously been digitized, the researcher is responsible for the cost of digitization. Researchers may request access to previously-digitized audiovisual materials that are not online on the CU Digital Library by contacting email@example.com
The University Libraries do not own the copyright to this collection. Researchers are responsible for contacting the copyright holder(s) for this material and obtaining permission to publish or broadcast. The University Libraries will not grant permission to publish or broadcast this material and are not responsible for copyright violations resulting from such use.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Colorado’s Division of Continuing Education started in 1912 (originally called the Extension Center up until the 1950s). At the time, eight out of ten people in the workforce were involved in producing or manufacturing the goods society needed. This, however, was quickly changing with the growth of information society. The market for new methods and technologies created a need for updated professional development programs. A new workforce was appearing that needed people better prepared academically. The Division of Continuing Education was looking to fill this gap in education for diverse students who are unable to attend traditional school settings.
The initial director of the Division of Continuing Education was Dr. Loran D. Osborn, who described the purpose of the division as: “[The University’s] expert resources are too valuable an asset to the state to be thus limited [to resident students]. They should be at the disposal of individuals who cannot come within the college walls, and communities which are seeking information and guidance in solution of the complex problems of modern life.”
The Division of Continuing Education offer classes to high school and college students, established professionals, career changers, and interested adults. They sponsor classes on campus, near campus, throughout the Denver metropolitan area, up and down the Front Range, and all over the state of Colorado. The Denver and Colorado Springs Campuses originally grew from the Division of Continuing Education centers that were already there in the 1960s.
424.5 linear feet
Language of Materials
The University of Colorado’s Division of Continuing Education was originally called the Extension Center from 1912-1950s. The major objective of this division was to create a place for individuals to learn about information technology who were unable to attend a traditional four-year university. The collection contains the division’s records and files from the 1920s until the 1980s.
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Colorado Boulder Libraries, Rare and Distinctive Collections Repository
1720 Pleasant Street
Boulder Colorado 80503 United States