Holy Beggars' Gazette collection
Scope and Contents
The Holy Beggars' Gazette Collection contains the entire run of the publication from 1972 to 1977, as well as a small book containing The Fixer: From a Story of Trust by the Holy Rebbe Nachman of Breslav, published by Tzaddikim Press, an imprint of the Judaic Book Service that arose from the Gazette and its editor, Steven Maimes.
- 1972 - 1977
Biographical / Historical
The Holy Beggars’ Gazette (edited by Steven L. Maimes and Elana Rappaport) was a journal of Hasidic Judaism published by the House of Love and Prayer, Inc. and distributed by the Judaic Book Service. The House of Love and Prayer was a synagogue founded by Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach in the 1960s. The journal included published transcriptions of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach’s teachings to be distributed across the world.
The Fixer was a single issue illustrated book published by the Judaic Book service of a translated story from the Holy Rebbe Nachman of Breslav who was the founder of the Breslav Hasidic movement.
.25 linear feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Holy Beggars’ Gazette was originally created by San Francisco based synagogue House of Love and Prayer to disseminate the teachings of its founder Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach. It grew to become a journal of chassidic teachings, poems, art, and stories from a range of contributors, including folklorist Howard Schwartz, poet Allen Ginzberg, and Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi (under the name Zalman M. Schachter). This collection provides a glimpse into the House of Love and Prayer’s community, through communal announcements, photos from the synagogue's events, advertisements, and recipes.
Series 1, Holy Beggars’ Gazette, 1972-1977
Series 2, The Fixer, 1977
- Hasidim Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Hassidim Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish Renewal Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reform Judaism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spiritual life -- Judaism Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- The Holy Beggars' Gazette Collection
- Processed by Jane Thaler, 2017; ArchivesSpace entry by Samantha Mat, 2017.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the University of Colorado Boulder Libraries, Rare and Distinctive Collections Repository
1720 Pleasant Street
Boulder Colorado 80503 United States