Colorado Federation of Women's Clubs Collection
Scope and Contents
- 1895 - 2011
70 delegates, representing 37 clubs, attended the first organizational meeting and 35 signed the charter. Committees on nomination, enrollment, and constitution were formed; reports from local clubs followed; a constitution was adopted which provided that only literary, educational or study clubs, or those in which these features were most prominent would be admitted to the Federation. Each club was to be represented by the President and one delegate, or their alternates, at the annual meeting. An Executive Board of Directors made up of the Executive Board and the presidents of all clubs belonging to the Federation governed the Federation.
In 1900, when a controversy arose in the GFWC regarding the admittance of African American clubs, Colorado supported allowing African American clubs into the General Federation. The controversy might have split the GFWC when the southern clubs threatened to withdraw; however, just before the 1902 biennial in Los Angeles, a compromise was reached. It was decided to leave the admittance of African American clubs to the individual states on a three-fifths vote of the member clubs.
The Federation promoted and endorsed advancement of educational in Colorado. In 1896, The Women’s Club of Denver began a free traveling library in order to take the books to rural areas of the state that had no access to libraries. In 1921, many children left school to become seasonal workers in beet fields, often never continuing their education. The CFWC worked with the state legislature to establish child labor laws and later, mandatory attendance laws for schools.
The women’s clubs were also active in war efforts. Most clubs became Red Cross chapters. They donated supplies to hospitals and to soldiers stationed away from home. Clubs sold war bonds and stamps, donated jewelry and other scarce items, rolled bandages, and made items for the front in a general surge of patriotism. After the war, women supported peace, disarmament, and the League of Nations. The Women’s Club of Denver, along with the Colorado WCTU, joined and was active in the national Women’s Peace Party. As women began to enter the workforce, many clubs provided materials to their members to encourage them and to teach them how to communicate in a professional world. Many clubs remained focused on more domestic efforts, such as how to maintain a household and children’s education.
The position of women in society has drastically changed since the beginning of the CFWC. Women’s clubs throughout history have served to provide a place for women to establish common goals and reinforce common values. Together they have facilitated the advancement of women in society and continue to preserve that legacy .
73.5 linear feet (Primary Inventory : 45 boxes, 32 oversize Addition: 6 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Reformatted by Lindsay M. Stone- 2003 (SMss) Survey by Kyra M. Glore - 2008 Guide by Brittany Thornton - 2011
- September 28, 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Colorado Boulder Libraries, Rare and Distinctive Collections Repository
1720 Pleasant Street
Boulder Colorado 80503 United States