John Carbonell sheet music binders volumes
Scope and Contents
Comprises nearly 600 bound volumes of chiefly American sheet music, published in the nineteenth century and bound into volumes by their original owners. Volumes contain approximately 50-75 pieces of sheet music. Of the volumes, approximately 100 were bound before 1840, 250 were bound during the period 1840-1850, and 135 bound during the period 1860-1875. Consists mostly of music for voice and piano, with small numbers of instrumental-only works. Many volumes include the original collector's name and binding date, in some cases with elaborate binder's title pages.
- 1794-ca. 1900
The collection is open for research.
Material in the collection is believed to be in the public domain. Copyright in non-public domain works is not held by the American Music Research Center. Requests for publication permission must be directed to the copyright holders.
75 linear feet (597 volumes)
Language of Materials
19th century music sheets bound into volumes by their original owners, collected over a 40-year period by John Carbonell, and acquired by the American Music Research Center in 2006
The volumes are arranged by volume number, which was assigned many years after purchase and represents the order in which the volumes were processed. Some volumes have been boxed together, due to preservation concerns; however, those boxes are not represented in this finding aid. Collector names, when present, are given as they appear on the cover of the volume and are presumed to represent the original owner of the music sheets in the volume.
Housed in the Preservation and Access Service Center for Colorado Academic Libraries (PASCAL); available for research in the American Music Research Center
Previously housed in the Howard Waltz Music Library, University of Colorado Boulder.
Purchased from J & J Lubrano Music Antiquarians, over a three-year period, 2006-2008.
- Carbonell, John -- Ethnomusicological collections Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Piano music -- United States -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Popular music -- United States -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheet music -- Private collections Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheet music -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- The John Carbonell sheet music binders volumes collection, 1794-ca. 1900
- An inventory of holdings at the American Music Research Center
- Conversion Draft
- American Music Research Center staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written inEnglish.